Saturday, October 18, 2014

F-15C Training flight with Enigma (DCS: F-15C)

October 18, 2014
DCS: F-15C Training flight, practicing formation flying.

After a quick walk around, the exterior looked good.  Enigma and I are flying from Senaki Airbase, in Georgia.  We are currently at a high state of alert, however this mission we are focusing on formation flying, and just flying together in general.  We don't expect much trouble, but there is a possibility things could get worse.


As you can see from the solders face, the mood at base is not that bad today.  He will probably be sticking around for our return.

Getting on the taxiway with Enigma's F-15C up ahead.  What a great day to fly.


Off we go.  Taking off is a lot easier than landing :-)  Once we get going it's almost impossible to see the rain.


Enigma is taking flight lead, I'm #2.  First things first, climb up and get to where the Eagle's like to soar.

Climbing to 20,000 feet.  At full afterburner, the F-15C doesn't take long to get there.

It took me a little longer than I thought it would to form up.  I'm still a bit rusty.  I decided to keep my distance a bit at first out of fear that I may hit my flight lead.  Colliding with another player is probably the most embarrassing thing you can do.


After a few minutes of flying in a loose formation, I tried to tighten it up.  It's pretty difficult at first, but once you get used to to it, you get more comfortable.



We each took turns as flight lead, so we could both practicing formation flying as the #2.

Turning and keeping formation is difficult, but again, you get used to it and more comfortable as you do it.

As flight lead, I decided to take us up to 30,000 feet.  The contrails can easily be seen this high.


Shortly after I took us right down to the deck.  Enigma stayed with me the entire time, good flying sir!  I ordered trail formation and challenging my #2 to follow me through the mountains and valleys, which he did.



Shortly after our little game of catch-me-if-you-can, we ascended back up to 20,000 feet and headed north.  Our first encounter with an enemy SAM.  Looks like an SA-6 (Kub) search & track radar. Pretty dangerous, so I took us east and away from the threat.

Missile launcher for the SA-6.


Once we were safe distance, we did some more formation practice.  The mission didn't go entirely without some action, as eventually, we ended up north again, and spotted a bogey on radar.  We decided to pursue the target.  


Once we got close enough, Enigma classified it as an AN-24 cargo plane.  After a quick discussion, we decided to take her out.  Why not?  The Russian's had nothing in the air at the time.

Unfortunately for the landing AN-24, Enigma got to it before it landed and launched an AIM-9 sidewinder, which resulted in a spectacular crash!  







With fuel running low, we decided to head home.  Some more formation practice on the way.



Getting lined up to land.

Just before touchdown.  With Enigma taking flight lead.  I could have got closer, but I decided on safety and piece of mind. :-)



Back in the barn.  Mission complete.  Great flying Enigma.



No comments:

Post a Comment